Thursday, November 3, 2011

Niratama - stirfry chives with eggs

The husband took me on a date during the Halloween vacation to celebrate our many accomplishments for the month of October 2011.  We ate at our usual cozy Japanese resto, Isshin, of course! :) but this time, instead of our usual chicken terriyaki, ebi tempura, and gyoza, I decided to skip on the gyoza and instead tried something new - Niratama - good call haha. Niratama is Nira (chives) + Tamago (egg), chives looks a bit like green onions but doesn't taste one bit like green onion - it is way way way better. I learned about chives while browsing through some Korean recipes few months ago and realized that I've already crossed paths with Chives a lot of times, chives is also called Kuchay!! - fried siopao, kuchay pie and kuchay dumplings??am not a big fan of green onions or leeks, but chives I like, no, no, I love. So, inspired by Isshin's Niratama, I tried to come up with my own version of Niratama:

Ingredients: 
240 grams of chives
3-4 eggs
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbsp. mirin
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Steps: 
1. Wash chives, cut into 3cm pcs, discard the bottom 2cm end
2. Lightly beat eggs
3. Add sesame oil, light soy sauce, mirin, and black pepper into eggs. 
4. Heat up wok or frying pan, medium high heat and add 1 tsp oil. 
5. When oil is hot enough, add chives  and cook for about 30 - 45 seconds
6. Reduce heat to medium. Add eggs and scramble until done. 

Fin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment