Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chinese Beef Stew with Shitake Mushroom and Radish

My camera ran out of battery, took this with my camera instead :P
I got lucky at the grocery last Sunday! :) I was able to get half kilo of kien-chi also called beef shin, woot! woot! :) usually, to get beef shin, you need to be really really early at the supermarket because they sell really fast! Originally, I was thinking of cooking beef soup with radish.. but then a better idea floated in my head when I was about to boil it for soup. so what I cooked was- Beef shin stew with shitake mushroom and radish: 

A bit tedious to prepare but soooo worth it, goes well with puto.

Ingredients:
500 grams of Beef shin, sliced into cubes (2 - 3 inch cubes)
1 pc. raddish. cut into pieces.
6 pcs shitake mushroom (soak in hot water to soften, remove stem and slice each of the mushroom into 4 pcs, you can set aside some of the water used to soften for added flavor)
5 tbsp.oil
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
5 cm. cube of ginger
1.5 star anise
2 large onions
10-12 whole black peppercorns
3 tbsp. dark soy sauce
3 tbsp. light soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar (I use brown sugar, if you're like me, you want to increase the sugar to 4 tbsp. because I so love it sweet)
1 tsp. salt
2.5 cups of water

Steps:
1. Heat oil, medium heat
2. Add in Onion, garlic, and ginger, cook until onion is light brown
3. Add beef shin, stir fry for a few minutes, until beef is cooked and light brown.
4. Add 2.5 cups of water, shitake mushroom, star anise, peppercorns, soy sauce, sugar, and salt
5. Change to low heat when it boils and cook for 2 hours or more.
6. Add radish, cook for 15 more minutes.

Fin! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment